Friday, January 14, 2011

After Puno it was on to Cuzco, the ancient seat of the Inca empire and the city with one of the strangest nicknames in the world. Its nickname translates as "The Bellybutton of the World". I actually couldn't travel between Puno and Cuzco directly; there was a massive demonstration going on completely blocking the main roads. I was going to wait it out, but as my train tickets to Machu Picchu were reserved in advance, and the guy staffing the desk at the hostel I was staying at made a pass at me and things were getting awkward, I instead backtracked through Arequipa. Finally, though, I arrived in Cuzco. Cuzco is a very popular tourist destination, primarily as a base from which to access the famous Machu Picchu. Definitely one of the most popular souvenirs, though is the city's rainbow flag.
I, like many others, set out to visit Machu Picchu. I didn't do the 4 day walking trail though :( I didn't want to cut my time in the country too short. The train was still a very pleasant experience. It winds through a region called the sacred valley until it reaches the small town of Aguas Calientes. The scenery is spectacular and awe-inspiring.
Below is the obligatory photo of the entire Machu Picchu site. I've saved a few photos from some more atypical perspectives for my next post. It would not be just to squeeze the entire experience into one photo.
No matter how many times you see this same picture, it is still an amazing view.

No comments:

Post a Comment