Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tin Roofs

Here it is, my first pictures from Guatemala uploaded here on my blog. I thought I'd start with the view from my window. The city of Cobán stretches out in the distance, but mostly I have a nice view of the roof of the lower part of the house.
The roofs are really fascinating here. We have a more 'traditional' roof made out of the curved red tiles at the school, but every time it rains we have to worry about leaks. These tin roofs, regardless of the strategically-placed duct tape patches, don't let in a bit of water. Also, if you look carefully you can see lighter-colored fiberglass panels are mixed in. These are our skylights. They work pretty darn well. When I moved in my hosts apologized for the view, but I kind of like looking out on this patchwork of Guatemalan ingenuity.

No comments:

Post a Comment